Friday, June 6, 2008

Lightning


Finally, the Lightning post. I know it's been long overdue, but I've been busy procrastinating.

I got Lightning one rainy afternoon in the fall of 2002. Justin and I were walking in the mall, and he needed to use the bathroom. We went over to McDonalds, and while he was waiting to use the bathroom, I wandered over to the pet store (next door), and saw they had cute little guinea pigs in the center. Well, I was hooked. By the time Justin got back, I had already picked out the one I wanted, and there was no dissuading me. We stopped at PetCo on the way home and picked up some "essentials" (like treats, bedding, pellets, and a water bottle). He was the cutest little thing. I don't have any pictures from when I first got him (no digital camera then). Justin and I used to put him in a cardboard tube and let him run around on the living room floor. The reason I named him Lightning was because he has a white blaze on his face, plus he was super fast when he was young. Based on what I know now, he was probably about 4-5 weeks old, and fit in my hand. For the first month or two, he lived in a huge rubbermaid container in my bedroom, then my mom warmed up to him and made him a cage for in the kitchen, where he then lived until I got married and moved in early 2004.

Today he's nearly 6 years old, has some stiff back legs at times, and is not as heavy as he used to be, but he is still going strong.

Isn't he just adorable?

2 comments:

that chick said...

i had guinea pigs as a kid. they had strange deaths. val was eatn by an owl and snowflake got breast cancer. i'm not kidding. snowflake's nipples bled so we euthanized her and we found val's bones & fur all wraped up in a tidy pellet. great memories.

The Purple Pinkie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts about your piggies. You are right, they are special little creatures that totally capture your heart. Thank you for sharing their stories!